Putting things in perspective

My father-in-law passed away a week ago. That really focuses one's mind, or should. We all end up there, but what we do between now and that moment is what defines us, and it's ultimately all we have. I try to remind myself of this every day, and live accordingly.

Most of us will just be average, by definition. I wish I could find a cure for cancer, or poverty, or crime, or something significant like that. But that isn't in the cards for me; I chose other roads to travel, as have most of us. And we can't all be Ghandi, or Pasteur, or a firefighter or doctor.

But that doesn't stop me from trying to live a good life that I will look back on with enjoyment and pride. If I just make a small difference in the right direction I will be pretty pleased. It doesn't have to be much, just enough so I can die with a smile on my face.

My wife sure did me proud; her courage and selflessness in these trying times is an example of something that moved our world in the right direction. I still have a lot I can learn from her.

I have defined myself as a cyclist, among other things, but cycling just isn't that important and I know that. But that didn't keep me from doing those 10 sprints during my ride to work this morning though... it's life-affirming fun!

Comments