So I've come up with a quick-and-easy recipe that's almost as good, using this recipe, from About.com, as my starting point:
Blueberry Almond Breakfast Pudding
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup blueberries - frozen or otherwise
- Sweetener and flavoring to taste - see list below
Mix almond meal, egg, and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Move the cooked part of the pudding towards the center of the bowl and add blueberries and/or any mix-ins you want. Microwave for about 45-60 more seconds, depending on mix-ins (frozen fruit will need even longer cooking, as it will cool down the pudding). Stir and eat.
For a larger serving, increase the almond meal up to 1/2 cup, add 1 Tablespoon water, and cook a bit longer.
- Fresh or frozen berries or other fruit (Low Carb Fruit List)
- Unsweetened coconut
- Peanut butter or other nut butters
- Small cubes of cream cheese (any fat level)
- Sugar-free maple or other syrup
- Sugar-free jam or preserves
- Chopped nuts
I have also been using "Lydia's Grainless Cereal" instead of nut meal, and egg whites instead of whole. If the idea of eggs is unappealing, try adding in some protein powder and milk (I prefer almond milk). Cinnamon and ginger are nice too. And blackstrap molasses and/or honey too, for longer rides.
That's it; tasty and healthy fuel in minutes!