Disneyland, again!

The last time we went to Disneyland was to celebrate my wife's birthday. Then I gained 9 pounds in 4 days! This time I only gained 8 pounds, so I guess that's something. My greatest "sin:" a Monte Cristo sandwich at "Blue Bayou."

I sure had fun doing it though... maybe that speaks poorly of my mental health, but heck, eating to excess is fun, and that weight is almost all water anyway. Seriously. In fact, my calorie-counting sez only 4/10ths of a pound is something else, likely fat and a bit of muscle. The other 7.6 pounds is water that my body likes to retain when I eat and drink too much garbage and fly in pressurized airliners.

I did manage to get in two 2x10-minute workouts at "L4" on a stationary bike in their fitness center, plus some weights. And lots of walking. Lots. Fortunately the crowds were not too big and we got through the lines in less time than usual. The weather was nice the first two days, but slightly cool the last two. All the rides were open too, except "It's a Small World," so that was perfect! :-)

We were there for a wine event (Disney's California Food and Wine Festival) and had dinner at Napa Rose one night so we really went to town. We ordered cocktails, Canard-Duchêne Brut Champagne, Testarossa Diana's Reserve Chardonnay and Kosta Browne Pinot Noir, followed by Inniskillin Cabernet Franc Icewine with dessert. Oh my, what superlative feasting! Oh yeah, and solid food too:

I had an incredible scallops appetizer. Having prepared scallops myself I could appreciate how difficult it is to get the outside so crispy without the inside being raw or tough. Puzzling how they manage that, but I suspect they coat them with a touch of flour and sear them on a very hot skillet first, then move them to a cooler covered skillet for finishing (must try that sometime). And a simply incredible sauce with just the right hint of lemon (I don't care much for lemon in cooking, but man, when it's done right...) with chunks of Alaskan King Crab mixed in. Accompanied by the Chardonnay, s'il vous plâit.

My dinner was an absolutely perfect peppercorn filet mignon. Usually they get steak this perfect by searing it, then baking it in an oven. With just some asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes, more as a garnish, and the Pinot Noir for company. Very nice.

Dessert was a tiny wedge of light chocolate tart, with a very cool Bailey's "shot." The shot was in a tall cordial glass but transformed into more of a pudding or sauce. With the Inniskillin. Fun stuff, and tasty!

The next night we dined at Yamabuki's and had very good sashimi, sushi and tempura. We took a chance on a "drocken" (dry) Gewurtstraminer... but were disappointed in its lack of any fruit. That's not unusual, and while it paired well with the food it was still a letdown.

Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day, and one morning we ate at Storyteller's Café where my multiple visits to their awesome buffet left me nearly immobile! The next day we ate more usual portion sizes at the very nice Steakhouse 55. Delicious steak and eggs for me!

There may even have been some huge dalliances with ice cream and churros along the way. But who can say?

Now I'm back to training, and getting those 4/10ths of a pound off!

Comments